Music for Galway and Galway 2020 present
CELLISSIMO – The Cello Exhibition
This exhibition will highlight the Galway Cello, a cello fashioned of timber grown in Co. Galway (concept by Philip Fogarty) for CELLISSIMO as part of the Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture programme and commissioned by Music for Galway from luthier Kuros Torkzadeh. It will document the creation of the cello from Galway sourced timber, and its connection to a classic 1710 Stradivarius Cello which once belonged to the Gore-Booth family of Lissadell House, Co.Sligo.
Other highlights of the exhibition include:
- talk on the making of the Galway cello by Kuros Torkzadeh and Philip Fogarty
- photographs of the making of the Galway Cello by Kuros Torkzadeh
- short film featuring Adrian Mantu, of ConTempo String Quartet, playing Lamentatio by Giovanni Sollima on the Galway Cello
- individual photographic portraits of Galway cellists playing the new cello by Paul D’Eath
- series of twelve shorts documenting the making of the cello by Eamonn Dunne
- performance by contemporary cellist and curator Lucy Railton
- photographs of the Galway Cello by Anita Murphy
- The Skies are Empty – Yseult Cooper Stockdale and Philip Fogarty perform live from two locations
This is an online exhibition so please check back throughout the festival as events go live.
The CELLISSIMO Exhibition is curated by Rob D’Eath
The Galway Cello is sponsored by MJ Conroy